Anytime I see a new brow product, I get excited. As a girl with eyebrows much lighter than her natural hair color, I’m always trying to find something that will not only tame the brows, but fill and color them. I am looking for the American Ninja Warrior of brow products.
I’ve been catching up with some episodes of ANW lately so I’m feeling a bit energetic going into this post.
Anyways, I came across the Maybelline Tattoo Studio Brow Gel in Walgreens a few weeks back and decided to purchase it in the color Soft Brown. I believe I paid something like $9.99, but I see on the Maybelline website it’s recommended price is $12.99, however it’s also going for $9.99 on Amazon. So you got price options. The website claims that you can fill and color your brows and once the product dries, you get all day color, shape and hold.
So, right off the bat, I’m going to tell you something the website does NOT mention, however, is listed in tiny print on the tube (maybe on the box as well, but I threw it away), which is:
CAUTION: FLAMMABLE UNTIL DRY. DO NOT USE NEAR FIRE, FLAME OR HEAT.
Ok, so you can read the ingredient list here for your self, but needless to say, don’t light any candles or straighten your hair while the product is fresh.
Thoughts of smoking eyebrows aside, I have additional mixed feelings about this product, so let me lay out the good and the bad, cause I feel like I already told you about the (potential) ugly above.
- There is a lot of color pay off. Since it’s not a crayon or a pomade, but rather a creamy liquid, it’s pretty pigmented. It’s very reminiscent of the WunderBrow formula, which I am a big fan of actually. There is a domed shaped velour type of applicator, with some fibers sticking out that are there, I assume, to help create a natural eyebrow look.
- Once the product dries, it is budge proof. Seriously, nothing is going to smear off or fade. Since the weather is still kind of cold here, I didn’t test it out in the pool or beach, but I did do a quick water splash test and didn’t see anything budge, so I’m fairly confident it will stick around on beach days as well.
- It’s easy to remove. Despite it being waterproof, it went off easily using a foaming cleanser and didn’t leave any visible color or tint on the skin or brows.
- It takes forever to dry! Initially, I thought it was because I may have gone in too thick with the product and that’s why it felt sticky to the touch 20 minutes after I applied it, but the second time, I definitely used a lighter hand, and didn’t think it made much of a difference
- Once it dries, it leaves your brows feeling a little waxy. Maybe waxy is not the right word, but it’s not crunchy and not wet, but sort of coated. I hope you know what I mean.
- The applicator shape makes it a little difficult to sculpt your brows. Since it has a rounded tip, you have to be very delicate when carving out the tail of your eyebrows, particularly if they are not thick to begin with, or consider dipping an angled brush in the product and using that to create a sharper line.
- Oh yeah….and it’s freaking flammable!
Anyone else try this out? If so, leave me some tips in the comments below on how you use it.
Till next time, my friends!
PS – Amazon links above are affiliated, so if you choose to purchase the products above, I will make a slight commissions.